Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 03 Mt. Pleasant, TX

Today's trip took us from Sulphur Springs to Mt. Pleasant, TX - a little over 43 miles on bike.

8:20 start...our earliest yet...and the air almost feels cool!

New day, new format for the blog. I'm trying embedded pictures to help tell the story.

One of the "traditions" we seem to be establishing is to call our wives at our first rest stop to see how they are doing. (less distance we need to ride back if there is a problem;)



Early in my training I started carrying snacks.

One of my favorites is a mixture of peanut butter pretzels and peanut M&Ms.

Today I had my first "casualty"...mixing the two while balancing on a hill most of them dumped on the ground.

I probably made some of the local animals happy.




We found our first "real" rest area today.

While we may not like the heat clearly the local plants and grass do.

Beautiful stop with lots of shade and places to enjoy the day.

One of the signs entering the rest area explains that no vendors are allowed.




This being Texas, some entrepreneur set up shop right behind the rest area.

A gate on the back fence of the rest area leads directly to this roadside stand where a husband and wife seem to do everything.

I walked in hoping to get a soda and some ice and walked out with the best blueberry pie I've ever had.




In another first we were able to reach our wives and let them know we were at the rest stop in time for them to join us.

Vicki seems to be getting much more comfortable driving the motorhome having no problem parking it with the car in tow in the rest area.







The downside of inviting them to join us is they decided it was time for me to be in some of these pictures.

In case you are wondering, that is an Apple iTouch in my hand as I was enjoying the free internet service having just finished my blueberry pie...a very hard life;)






While the motorhome is very large to drive, the living space is tight for 4 people.

This is as close to a "candid" shot as I was able to get as we celebrated another successful day.









Last shot of the day.

If you look closely you may be able to see the bikes leaning next to the motorhome as we enjoy the shade of one of the beautiful large trees in this RV park.

Tomorrow is scheduled to be our longest ride yet at close to 65 miles...wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment